Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Works in progress

Last weekend Andy and I were busy at work once again making preparations.  I have been stressing about getting an old dresser to use as a changing table and finally found one on Craigslist this weekend.  The gentleman who was selling it agreed to deliver it within an hour and finally, one big piece of furniture was crossed off the list!  But, not so fast...  I really wanted a white dresser and this one was polished wood.  Andy seemed excited about the possibility of painting furniture and went to work researching the best way to do it.  When the dresser arrived, it looked like this:

Please excuse the mess in the background- part of the purpose of getting this darn dresser is having somewhere to put all Sprout's stuff!

Andy assembled the needed supplies and went to work.  We decided to use the leftover semi-gloss white paint that my mom had used to paint the birch trees with a few weeks ago.  Very frugal! :)


First, Andy removed the drawers and lightly sanded the dresser down so the paint would stick.  You get a nice sneak peak at the nursery mural in the background in this one!


He then applied a first coat of paint, all the while with a smile on this face. :)  Unfortunately, this is where the progress ended as we got to the end of the weekend and there is somehow some brown streaking coming through the paint on the top of the dresser... We still have to figure out how to address that one...  In any case, I'm sure it's going to turn out great!

Meanwhile, I've been working on my quilt since October.  It is also still a work in progress, but below I've included a few pics along the way.  First, I ironed out all 12 "fat quarters" I picked out for the project:


Then I cut the each quarter into ten 4.5" squares per using a template (this was more than I needed but it took me a while to decide how big I wanted this quilt to be).


I assembled all my materials and my much-neglected Pfaff sewing machine (that I got for my birthday from Andy years ago and has been intimidating me from the back room ever since) on the dining room table, which became "project central."  Nice to finally put some mileage on that baby!


I sewed the squares into 10 rows of 8, and then sewed those rows together to make the finished quilt top.


I knew I would be stuck here if I didn't get this done in time for my Aunt Anne's visit for Thanksgiving as I had no idea how to finish the quilt and she is a quilter extraordinaire!  I've made only one other quilt in my life and Anne helped me back that one as well.  So, I busted my hump to get the top finished by Thanksgiving.  With a lot of help from Anne, my mom and lovely future sister-in-law Kelly, we got the quilt all pinned up and ready for finishing!

Andy and Zuzu were hard at work here... ;)

 I spent the weekend working hard to finish sewing the backing onto the quilt but I still have a good bit left to do.  It is slow-going, fairly tedious work but I'm actually enjoying it.  I had Andy take some pics of me working on it this weekend but I can't in good conscience post any of them as I look, well, not-so-fabulous (understatement of the year here).  Instead, I'll include a pic of me from Thanksgiving that hopefully won't make small children run away in horror:


So, nothing is finished, but we continue to work hard to get all our DIY projects done.  This gets harder as I get more and more tired- week 32 (that started at Thanksgiving) was the onset of my 3rd trimester fatigue and boy, am I fatigable!  Other than the fatigue, various aches and pains and insomnia (a lot of qualifiers here...), we are doing well.  Sprout was HEAD DOWN (yay!) at our last ultrasound a week or so ago and growing like gangbusters, thankfully.  Hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful holiday season!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it's a blogtastic kind of day! Looks like you guys are making good progress on all the projects and the mural looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! You're on fire today! Honestly, I looked at your blog this morning and saw the little widget that said my last post was 2 weeks old and thought "oh, crap!" thus the blog post today :). The mural is pretty awesome, thanks! I'm waiting until the room is more orderly to do the big reveal ;).

      Delete
  2. I am sure the quilt will turn out awesome Erin! Looks great so far. Also, just as an FYI, my Mom took all Brenna's old clothes, blankets, etc, deconstructed them and used the material to make a very cute keepsake quilt for me. Just an idea in case you want to continue working on your quilting skills in the future. You look great by the way! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Your mom's quilt sounds like such a great keepsake. I think I'll have to improve my skillz by then to pull something like that off :). Thanks also for the compliment- I have to admit to very carefully selecting pics to post here as I often look kind-of like a tired blob with a droopy eye, but none of those make it to the blog ;). Love you too!

      Delete
  3. Glad everything is going along smoothly. Zuzu was a big help by not walking in the middle of our work! What fun to be a part of your projects. Wish we were closer. Hugs! - Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading this. The quilt photos look great! Thanks for making a 'big deal' out of 'revealing' the mural- that is so sweet :-) Poor Andy- the dresser is beautiful but does look like abig task to paint- hope he can resolve the streaking thing. It will look dreat. Things are really coming together for Sprout :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed with all the crafting and artistry! Can't wait to see all the final products :)

    ReplyDelete